15 April 2013

Checking Off the Bucket List

Ang Moh has been bugging me incessantly to write another blog post. And because I know that it really is something I want to do as well, I am relenting and finally writing another post a day before our departure.The primary reason that I have not been updating this blog as frequently as I would like to is because we've been exceptionally busy readying for the big trip back to Singapore.

For me this has meant getting my fill of American TV, like Game of Thrones Season 1 and Season 2, the Voice, The Walking Dead, and the odd episode of Glee, American Idol, and spending meaningful time with Ang Moh's family members and living the good old suburban life. I must admit that if we were to break it down, it'll probably be 80% watching TV, 20% hanging with family.

The suburbs takes some getting used to for a city-boy like me. Something about the suburbs causes my body to shut down for the night at 7:00 PM, and there are the occasional moments where I feel trapped because we don't have any available cars - although when everyone is home, four cars are piled into the driveway. As much as I like the open space, the occasional herd of deer one spots crossing the road, and the cheap drinks, I don't think the suburbs and I are meant to spend more than two weeks at a stretch together.

So in the 20% of time we spend meaningfully with family, we've been hitting up our bucket list, which on hindsight is oddly dominated by food. Here's what we've done so far (and let me emphasize again, this is the suburbs, so don't be expecting crazy helicopter rides, wild parties, and the like!):
  • Power Hour at Dave and Buster's with the Ang Moh's kid brother who's finally turned 21. For the uninitiated, as I was a mere four-years ago, Dave and Buster's is a huge arcade and fun center for adults and kids alike. There are game machines, bowling, pool, food and a full bar. And Power Hour, is a magical 60-minutes where for $10 you get to go crazy on the arcade machines. We hit up old favorites like Daytona, and I discovered the joys of hunting when I had target practice shooting at virtual wildebeests on the Serengeti.
  • Taking the Golden Retriever and French Bulldog for walks around the neighborhood with the younger sister.
  • Errands like picking up Grandma Ang Mo from the hairdresser and going grocery shopping with the 93-year old; cleaning out the garage, cleaning out the basement.
  • Dinner at Kasdon's, which is an institution in the Yardley area where Ang Moh's dad has been going to since he was a wee toddler of five-years and sitting at the bar with Ang Moh's granddaddy.
  • Burgers and shakes (we actually didn't get shakes) at Nifty Fifty's - old school diner which was popular years ago. But things don't really change much in the suburbs. 
  • Stuffing my face with Ben and Jerry's ice cream! On a side note, their Canoli flavor isn't great on it's own, but is absolutely heavenly mixed in with coffee like an affogato. 
  • Happy hour at Jo Jo's - the bar & restaurant that the younger sister works at where I learned that a "bar pie", as exotic as that sounds is really a personal cheese pizza, and I prefer Espresso Martinis to Peanut Butter Martinis. 
  • Happy hour at the Langhorne Ale House where a pitcher of Margarita goes for just $10!
Speaking of happy hours, another reason I couldn't live in the suburbs is I don't drink and drive. Out here, cabs don't ply the roads and it's impossible to walk to the bar down the street! All this talk about food and drink, mostly drink is making me thirsty. Time to pop open a Coors light and enjoy the gorgeous spring day on the deck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment