15 April 2013

Load Up the Pack Mule

So it comes down to my oldest nemesis, the bully of my elementary school days that continued to haunt me all the way into college... MATH... Yes, math, even if calculators have broken down this thug, I am still forever taunted by its awful integers and its useless step-cousin... algebra...

That is what you have to contend with when packing for a move to another country because almost every airline has a weight allowance these days. Singapore Airlines has deemed two bags weighing 23 kg (50 pounds) that can be checked for economy passengers, because lets face it, you don't put a ceiling on something and every idiot is going to try and take a grand piano or a refrigerator bag on-board.

Now everyone figures that 40 kg (100 pounds) is more than enough to fit everything... until you realize you aren't coming back and everything you bring is going to be it for at least 6 months, a year, maybe longer. So then your packing is broken down into four categories:
  • What can I take?
  • What can I leave behind but can take in a future trip back?
  • What's going to storage for good?
  • What's getting tossed, sold or sent to charity?
Once you break down these categories you can see a lot of your clothes and most of your furniture is getting tossed, sold or carted off to the Red Cross. I have a lot of shirts, left over from two-years working in retail and getting an excellent discount, but I have a habit of selecting only a few to wear depending on the season. So the Red Cross made off with four very large bags of dress shirts, sweaters, even assorted sneakers, some with the tags still on them. 

Now if you're like me and on a tight budget while unemployed, saving as much cash while going abroad is a big thing!

You could sell them off at thrift shops or consignment stores, places like Plato's Closet can give you a decent dollar for them. Don't expect much out of them... you are not going to break the bank on your pile of unworn garments... you won't even hit the half way mark, but if you want some quick cash, got a lot of clothes and are a bit too broke to be so generous to the Red Cross, they are your best bet. 

But clothing isn't the only thing you're going to be bringing. You are most likely going to toss in some electronics, some keepsakes like books or jewelry, most probably a relative is going to present you with a gift that comes with the expectation you are going to use it in your new home. 

In my case it was my Xbox 360. Yeah girls, roll your eyes, but I'm a guy and until I find a job, I am going to need some type of home distraction to keep my mind sharp and my wallet securely on the dresser. Of course I intend to explore and sight see, but unless its the necessary food to keep myself alive, my bank account is on lock down. So that is figuring out how much space I have to leave open for a 7.5-pound Xbox console. 

Easiest way to get around on this is stick it into the bag you intend to leave in the overhead compartment. They don't care what those bags weigh (D says the airline actually do care but don't bother to check), as long as they fit into the overhead you could put bricks in it for all they care... don't put bricks in it! Don't be that ass that takes my comment seriously to prove me wrong! But back on topic, use this bag for heavy things, like books, electronics, expensive items (i.e. jewelry) and most importantly shoes, the number one offender in sending your bag over the weight allowance. These all should be find because no one ever uses anything from that bag during the flight and lets face it, that bag is much less likely to disappear, get lost or end up on a flight to Guam if its only a few feet above you on the plane... I had that happen... twice... seriously what the hell is in Guam that makes my bags go there!  

What about all those papers you have to keep, even when you're abroad like:
  • Insurance
  • Product Warranty Codes
  • Service Numbers
  • Marriage Records
  • Heavy Books (it's illegal, don't sell them!)
While you're at it, make digital copies of all the papers you are bringing, in case something happens and you lose everything in a fire, flood or because of theft. My social security card, a copy of my passport and my medical records that have been saved to DropBox.com, locked with the most complicated password I have ever come up with. Use words with special characters if you really want it to hit home with security... just DON'T write it down anywhere!

That's all I really have on packing. If anyone has any other tips and tricks on moving abroad on a budget let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment