17 April 2013

Singapore Arrival


I've landed at Changi Airport! Its 6:50 AM (Singapore Local Time) and I'm just off the plane, trying to work that pain of my neck from those... comfortable airplane seats. I can never sleep on planes, I'm one of those who was genetically locked to only sleep in beds. Expect the real posts to start once I leave the terminal and walk into the wall of humidity everyone has warned me about.

The flight was uneventful save for the landing. My arrival in Singapore was just as I expected, with screaming, rolling and near death... okay, I'm going overboard but allow me to paint the canvas for you.

The first real thing I saw when we entered Singapore airspace was the lightning storm. At first, looking out through the window I could see the white hot crackles of light burning out like veins in the Human body. They illuminated these great white, snow covered islands... until I realized there was no water around those islands... or below them... just a shear drop of black nothing. They were clouds, flashing into existence all seven-seconds before they plunge back into that deep blackness you get only just minutes before the sun begins to crest the horizon.

Yep, that's correct, we were landing in a storm with lightning crackling around us. I didn't even see a hint of Singapore from above until less than a minute before we landed, the clouds white washing us so that we couldn't see anything until the tarmac was almost inches below out massive A380 plane (Imagine a 747 but that second floor goes all the way back.)

So my first few seconds on this island began with a near terrifying drop down towards the ground on a machine moving 500 MPHSs!

Excuse me, I have to go change my pants...

In the interim as I trade my undergarments, I am trying to find the London Outbound Singapore Airline flight that carries my boyfriend. Thankfully they have a stewardess armed with an iPad with all that information, so I do believe I may have found the right location to catch him at. Hopefully I won't have to stand atop some high point in the middle of Changi Airport and have to scream his name until security wrestles me to the ground.

Off again!


No comments:

Post a Comment